I’ve already mentioned several times, that freelance work is not for everything. Mainly because it takes a lot of self-control to work on your own, without anyone supervising you and tracking your results. Many women, who switch to freelancer career end up getting back to office work within a half a year. But it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try! Freelancing has so many advantages, that you really should give it a chance. And to make sure that you and freelancing make a perfect match, check if you have all the qualities that are necessary to succeed in this type of career.
- Concentration. You have to be able to set goals and fully concentrate on reaching them quickly. And not only quickly, but effectively! You should set priorities and start with the most important goals, leaving less important aside till you’re don with first category. And don’t let yourself get carried away by one goal, while others will remain without attention.
- Efficiency. As I’ve mentioned, there will be no one to supervise you and force you to sit at the laptop. You are free to spend time as you wish, drinking coffee, watching TV and chatting with friends. That’s why it is so important to work efficiently. Create a system that would allow you to set the right work mood when you have tasks to fulfill – it may be the right music, meditation or anything that would put you in the right mood. And don’t ignore productivity tools, that will help you to sort your tasks and create a perfect schedule.
- Flexibility. Internet is a fast changing environment – new trends appear all the time and old trends become history. You have to always follow the changes, monitor what happens in the field that you are involved and learn new things. This will ensure that you are always ahead of competitors and not watching their back.
- Time-management skills. You have to know how to manage your time – effectively and wisely, leaving time for relaxation and other duties, that are not connected to work. Time management is a key to success, so take this seriously!
- Ability to set goals. For continuous professional development a freelancer should have a sense of purpose. The better you build up your current and future goals, the faster you will reach them. And what’s even more important – you should set right goals. “I want to become a millionaire” should be replaced by “I want to have a monthly income in amount of …. dollars by June/September/December 2021/2021”. Goals should be realistic and achievable, otherwise you’ll soon get disappointed and demotivated. First start with small goals and make them more daring as your business progresses.
These are just 5 basic features that are necessary for successful freelancer career, but there are actually much more. So, accept the fact that freelance work requires lots of self-control and self-development. Don’t spare yourself and your efforts will be rewarded!